Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

Vegan Mac - N - Cheese

I've been following this blog Meet the Shannons. So it is just one of my fave blogs to read!! She's cooking here way through a Betty Crocker book!!! Oh and of coarse making it all Vegan!!!! What a great idea right!!! I've made so many recipes from the blog already! i'm having a lot of fun cooking Vegan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So here is a recipe I found and had to try!! I'm super obsessed with MacNChesse and cheese has been the hardest thing to give up being Vegan!! Well not anymore! This is actually BETTER then my old Mac-Cheese.......... YUP i just said that!!! LOL I meant it too!!! I'm eating left overs as I type this!!! So here is her recipe down below!! The only things I did different was use Whole Flour cause that's how I roll LOL!!! I added real onions instead of onion powder and I had garlic salt instead of garlic powder but used less!!!

In no particular order :
Nutritional Yeast : Yes -An unfortunate name that keeps many people from trying this little bit of heaven turned into a yellow powder that is the perfect replacement for Parmesan cheese ( I mean seriously sprinkle it on pizza, salad, popcorn - whatever ). It is also the key ingredient to the best Mac & Cheez ever ( see below ) and making a vegan gravy that you'll want to eat like soup.
3 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
1/2 cup ( 1 stick ) vegan margarine
1/2 cup flour
3 1/2 cups boiling water
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
Pinch of turmeric
1 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
A few dashes of liquid smoke
Paprika & Black Pepper, to taste

• Preheat the oven to 350°F.
• Cook the elbow macaroni according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
• In a saucepan, melt the margarine over low heat. Whisk in the flour.
• Continue whisking over medium heat until smooth and bubbly.
• Whisk in the boiling water, salt, soy sauce, liquid smoke, onion powder, garlic powder, and turmeric - add a few dashes of black pepper to taste.
• Continue whisking until dissolved. Once thick and bubbling, whisk in the nutritional yeast flakes.
• Mix 3/4 of the sauce with the noodles and place in a casserole dish. Cover with the remaining sauce and sprinkle with the paprika.
• Bake for 15 minutes.
• Broil for a few minutes until crisp.

Here's My picture!! And let me tell you something my son who always covers his Mac-N-Cheese with Ketchup did not put a drop on this and came back for MORE!!!!!
Photobucket
click here to meet the Shannons

No comments: